23, originally from Wales, now in England, but always a welshie at heart.
I blog what I like; Game of Thrones, Disney, Harry Potter, Star Wars, cats, things I find funny,
the list goes on! Hope you enjoy regardless :)
Why feeding water birds bread is harmful:
- Duckling Malnutrition: In an area where ducks are regularly fed bread, ducklings will not receive adequate nutrition for proper growth and development. Furthermore, because ducks will naturally seek out an easy food source such as human handouts, ducklings will not learn to forage for natural foods as easily.
- Overcrowding: Where an easy food source is abundant, ducks and other waterfowl will lay more eggs and the pond or lake will become overcrowded. This makes it more difficult for the birds to seek out healthier food sources and increases the likelihood of territorial aggression.
- Pollution: When too much bread is offered to ducks, not all of it will be eaten. The soggy, uneaten bread is unsightly and rotting bread can create noxious odors as well as lead to greater algae growth that can clog natural waterways. This concentrates the pollution and can eventually eradicate fish and other life in the vicinity.
- Diseases: Feeding ducks bread can increase the spread of diseases in two ways. First, a carbohydrate-rich diet leads to greater defecation, and bird feces easily harbor bacteria responsible for numerous diseases, including avian botulism. Second, moldy bread can cause aspergillosis, a fatal lung infection that can decimate entire duck and waterfowl flocks.
- Pest Attraction: Rotting supplies of food leftover from sated ducks will attract other unwelcome pests such as rats, mice and insects. These pests can also harbor additional diseases that can be dangerous to humans.
- Loss of Natural Behaviour: When birds become accustomed to handouts, they lose their natural fear of humans and may become aggressive in order to get more food. Their loss of fear can also cause other dangers, such as a willingness to cross busy roads in order to reach picnickers and other likely sources of food.
Good Foods to Feed Ducks:
The best foods for ducks are those that provide the nutrients, minerals and vitamins the birds need for healthy growth and development. Many of these foods are similar to the natural seeds, grains and plants the birds will forage on their own. As omnivorous birds, ducks will eat a great deal of different foods, and the best foods to offer ducks include:
- Cracked corn
- Wheat, barley or similar grains
- Oats (uncooked; rolled or quick)
- Rice (cooked or uncooked)
- Birdseed (any type or mix)
- Grapes (cut in half)
- Frozen peas or corn (defrosted, no need to cook)
- Mealworms (fresh or dried)
- Chopped lettuce or other greens or salad mixes
- Vegetable trimmings or peels (chopped)
- Duck feed pellets or poultry starter pellets (x)
Every year I will reblog some kind of reminder of this! Please don’t feed waterfowl bread.
I used to volunteer at a country park and we would literally ban people if they fed the ducks and swans bread. People said it was because we wanted to make money via the seeds we sold in the gift shop (which were a special blend especially for waterfowl) but in reality it is because disposing of ducks that had died from being fed too much bread was starting to have a mental impact on the volunteers.
Oh wow I didn’t know this! Everyone should know this!
My local lolitas are always feeding ducks bread at picnics and such, let’s stop doing this ;_;
hmm, there’s ducks at the park. i was gonna bring them our bread heels like we usually do but now not such a good idea. might get some birdseeds. sunflower seeds? (unsalted, unroasted ones?)
51,011 notes (via i-am-but-a-small-squirrel & fightingforanimals)
AND THAT IS HOW YOU USE AN EFFECTS PEDAL
I was gaping the entire song this is insane
If I had a dollar for every time a musician made me feel like I’ve done nothing with my life, I’d be filthy, FILTHY rich.
Wow. Wooooooooooooooooooooooow. BLESS.
A girl at my old school did the same thing as this and holy shit I was in love with her all up through senior year
437,547 notes (via zohbugg & mahaldaddy)
when you accidentally start watching a crime show and can’t get yourself to switch the channel because now you wanna know who fucking did it
255,597 notes (via megasilly & eenjolras)
So one of my best friends had a medieval fantasy wedding
at a hella cool castle
the groom channeled Thranduil and the Baratheons
the bridesmaids were elf maidens
the court jester and town crier were there
the cakes were gorgeous
luckily a friar was passing through town who was able to officiate (“mawwaige,” he said, “is what bwings us togevver today”)
the bride’s chariot was pulled by the most beautiful creature
unfortunately, as with all medieval weddings, there is the dragon problem
54,236 notes (via sunnyxstars & congalineofdurin)
"hey can we go in your room"
y’all thought this was a joke but this is an actual picture of my bedroom circa 2012 and i am not proud of it
29,332 notes (via zohbugg & stylishirish)
*every highschool student when the teacher doesn’t show up after 2 minutes* “you know there’s a rule where if the teacher’s not here after 15 minutes we can just leave”
365,207 notes (via appealt0myhumanity & coolscar)
Sphaerodactylus nicholsi, one of the smallest geckos in the planet. (x)
This is amazing. Look how small it is. It has a heart and a stomach and a brain. And it’s this small
93,866 notes (via onmyoown & spectacularuniverse)